EDUCATIONAL SERVICES DEPARTMENT Grades 9-12
The Linked Learning Vision
The Linked Learning Vision At schools throughout California, a Linked Learning approach to high school is helping educators and communities realize their vision for all students. When students are in programs that connect core academics with a career interest, they develop skills that prepare them for success after high school. When students use what they are learning to solve real-world problems, they succeed by thinking critically and creatively, communicating their ideas effectively, and working collaboratively. When students engage in work-based learning, interacting with industry partners, they gain self-confidence and are able to manage their own work and behaviors productively. When students actively engage with the larger community, they become effective at using the strategies needed to manage their own educational and career development over time and to participate fully in civic life.
Linked Learning connects strong academics with real-world experience in a wide range of fields, such as engineering, digital media arts, and biomedical and health sciences. It focuses a district's high schools on helping all students perform at higher levels and preparing them for both college and career.
Linked Learning is a high school transformation approach whose time has come. Its guiding principles and core components are based upon decades of research and the examination of promising practices. It responds to the need to:
- Keep all students engaged in learning and motivated to succeed;
- Move beyond an outdated high school model and create a more personalized and coherent educational program for youth;
- Be guided by state and national standards without being limited by narrow state and federal accountability requirements;
- Extend learning beyond the traditional school day, school year and school site; Engage adults throughout the community in the education of our youth;
- Focus on both equity and excellence without letting one compromise the other; and
- Align today's education with the economy of tomorrow.